Thursday, January 3, 2008

FUTURE OF ANIMATION IN INDIA



The Indian animation Industry has been fighting a few big problems in the past. Effective production pipeline, skilled workforce and infrastructure has been some of the major hurdels. The leading Companies of today have all these roughly in place. When I say roughly it means that there remains huge scope of improvement and the future of the Animation industry is in fact based on how well we can better ourselves in these. From this point onwards the Journey can only be towards bigger higher and better.

Animation as an art requires extreme discipline and organized effort. Countries like Philippines have lost out in spite of having a rich talent pool mainly because of its disorganized Freelance environment. Organizational strength is the core component of all BPO s. Improvements in the existing pipeline and the emergence of 3d animation as a lucrative business will help the animation studios take up the BPO model.

The recent popularity of 3d animation has hit the 2d traditional animation market badly. This is to gradually change. When the initial enthusiasm settles down 2d animation will reinforce itself and in future 2d as well as 3d animation will go hand in hand to entertain the toon lovers.

Animation is a work intensive business, thus to build a conducive environment for Artist we might see some of the big studios setting up their residential campus where the artists freed from their routine tensions can dedicate themselves to their work.

In the training front, till now only major studios were taking initiative to train fresh talent to cater to their huge demand for skilled workforce. With the rate of growth increasing this will be insufficient and the future will see Major animation training colleges setting up to provide a steady flow of talent to the industry.

The current animation business in India revolves around Production, Post production and VFX. This is soon to change with the incorporation of preproduction into the existing pipeline. With the increasing confidence of the International community, India is soon to be trusted with the generation of original content. Our rich cultural heritage can cater a new taste. The international ordinance till now has been feed with either Traditional Disney style animation or the Japanese anime. There has been an ongoing effort through out the world to evolve alternative styles of animation and soon India will join hands with the rest of the world to create original content. France, China, Korea, Japan, Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia has already gone ahead of us in this respect and India is to soon catch up

When talking of original content one cannot help but envisage a Full length Feature film from India which will awe the world in terms of story telling and international appeal. The efforts in the past in this direction have been either without vision or without conviction .The main retarding factor has been Finance. Making an animated movie costs a fortune and the returns are uncertain . India might see its studios coming together in the future to share the financial burden and to deliver a product which is truly world class. The recent success of ‘Hanuman’ in the box-office will definitely inspire a revolution in the Indigenous Animated feature industry. Creative people in the industry will have to enhance their attention to detail. A smart product in the hands of a smart salesman can definitely create history. This will by far enhance India’s identity in the International Animation business.

Like a mountaineer focusing on each foot hold is destined to reach the Peak, so shall we reach our mighty targets by giving our best for the present. Indian Animation industry is relatively young. With fresh minds teeming with ideas, great story telling ability and with loads of commitment and initiative we can definitely come out victorious. Lets do it …

Author:Anandaroop Mukherjee(2006)

30 comments:

maulik13 said...

Very good post. I should say you are a very good artist. Love your sketches.

Unknown said...

hi, i should say u write well. nice post, i am doing my msc 3d computer animations in uk rite now. and i dont know if u mind to give me some information on animation and its future in india? are u an animator? wat firm do u work for? and wat is a basic pay expected in india. and wat are the reputed firms at present.

Unknown said...

hi. i am very much pleased with your post.i am a final year engineering student.i have interest in doing animations. so i have a plan of doing higher studies in the displine of animation.so if you don mind can you let me know how opportunities are favourable in India and the basic pay?

Partha Gogoi said...

Test

Partha Gogoi said...

Mr Mukherjee,

Do you still stand by this writeup - looking back after 1.5 years - after the recession?

I would love to see some more statistical information on what the animation industry is worth worldwide. And what percentage of it is in India's hands?



Partha Gogoi
Washington DC


Partha

Partha Gogoi said...

Please write to me at partha_gogoi@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

please write more on this

Unknown said...

hi
written good.i am in 21 age and i completed B.Sc C.B.Z i have 2 years experience as 3dsmax faculty.now i hear companies don't want to take freshers and so many lacks of people are completed multimedia training and in that so many didn't get any jobs till now. can i go with animation carrier? or i think i leave this animation carrier and I want complete M.Sc chemistry regular because i can read very well and i love that.But already i wasted 2 years so so so so so so i have a big dynamo what i do can any one suggest please send their suggestions to my Email ID kandularaja1988@gmail.com.com is the animatin industry is good are not?

Er.Sadaqat Husain Ansari said...

hii all..
i m sadaqat husain ansari..

this theory is very benificial on animated field..
i agree with u,,,
thanks alot

Er.Sadaqat Husain Ansari said...

hii all..
i m sadaqat husain ansari..

this theory is very benificial on animated field..
i agree with u,,,
thanks alot

Sreeja Reddy said...

umm..thats a beneficial theory..
btw,this is Sreeja.i am doing my UG in TamilNadu,India.
Sir,
i am very interested in doing my M.E. in ANIMATION.And I've come accross people who insisted me not to take the cours..b'coz that has a very bad future.so can you please just suggest me about this..with ur comfort.waiting for an interesting reply,

Thanking You,

Regards,
Sreeja.

Emailid: sreeja7vr@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hey
nitin im rahul from delhi 21 years old ,IT engineer,and i want to switch into animation can u please tell me the name of ur anmation accedemy in uk ...

Unknown said...

hey
nitin im rahul from delhi 21 years old ,IT engineer,and i want to switch into animation can u please tell me the name of ur anmation accedemy in uk ...plz do reply on rahulsinhapiet@gmail.com

Anshuman said...

It's nice thought but please tell me that if want to be an animator than in which area i will get jobs ?

Abhishek Gupta said...

very good information u have provided thankyou very much.

pallabi said...

Sir,I want to study animation.I have just completed my 10+2.Can you give more detailed information about animation.How is the market now in India on 2011 and How will be the market in near future?
My email id is pallabibanerjee.rng@gmail.com.

gatla said...

Hai Mr.Nitin I want to study M.S (Animation) in U.K Can u plz give me the details my Email is : (gatlagopi@gmail.com) I Have Complieted My B.Sc(Visual Communication). My Phone No : 9666047079.+914027407211

vivek sharma said...

thanx for information about animation course.actually i m eager to know about animation course.so please kindly tell me about some colleges of animation study in india

Mr.Saha said...

Hi All,
This is Mr. Saha from Bangalore. I'm really shocked after reading all of you guy’s comments on this post on Animation.
I understand.. Some of you are student or willing to join Industry or say new to it.
The moment U decided that u will choose the filed on basis of market opening or 6 digit salary pack!! Believe me U all will fail in your life and never achieve the target or goal what U want to be.
To one of U – willing to do M.E in Animation field and just because some foolish or say stupid suggestions, afraid of doing it which is coming from your soul / heart.
Ok let me take this example.. Write now there is very big n easy option with 6 digit salary pack, opening for girls and boys who is ready to join the Nursing filed in Gulf and Australia as well.. So that mean R u want to join it or change your interest from Animation to Nursing just because of Market Opening !!!!!! Ask those guys who giving those terrible ideas.
This joining n earning issue is involved in all fields. guys… No matter U are Software Engineer or Animation Engineer or just B.Sc or BA graduate or from any background .. U all will succeed If n Only If [Iff]–U do your best with your all efforts and what U want to be.. This the key factor of all.
Initially there is a challenge for everyone in every field.
So what you want – do .. don’t think about market or say – don’t die before dying.
Even I’m not from Animation field but I’m interested on it .. n learned so many thing including MAC by self study just for interest purpose.
By educational background I’m Software Engineer but since I have interest in Networking field, I changed my field according to my wish n what I want to be.. Initially I got job with less salary with less satisfaction comparing to my classmate, but to day I’m in the position or say filed where I want to be “Core Network technical field with Latest generation Hard Core Technology Virtual Environment – “VMWare ESX””..
And believe me – no one from my classmate or friend reached this position where I’m now today with Very Good Salary package comparing to other Software Engineers.
So ball is now In Your court guys – let’s decide what U want n what U want to be.
Wish U all a very successful future – GOD bless All.

The Cordial League said...

SHUBHAM MALAWANT-
Hi, i m in 12th standard n i m doing web designing n i have a huge interest in animation n gaming. i want to know from where i can do animation courses in India n with in a affortable fees wid placements....

Unknown said...

hi sir, my name is saifuddin i just completed my 12th now i wanted to do 3d animation course through relaince big aims sooo can u provide me sme more details regarding animation and it also provides us with the placements will be waiting for ur response

saifcool2006@yahoo.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi friend...
I'm Arun Nair an international student at Ferris State University, Michigan, USA... I'm very fond of animation movies... I regret saying that I love Hollywood animation movies more than ours... But I'm sure that we can do much better... Me and my friends have been working on developing a script for an animation movie which by our standards is an original story... We are at it's final stage... It has been almost a year since we have been working on it... Once it is done we are going to try approaching some animation companies in India... It is going to be tough to even get them to read it but we are gonna give it a try... If you have any advise/ suggestions, we would appreciate it...
:)

Unknown said...

Really beneficial story ..I agree with you thanks for sharing

TechTyson said...

If u really want take some suggession this is the best....
[ Mr.Saha said...

Hi All,
This is Mr. Saha from Bangalore. I'm really shocked after reading all of you guy’s comments on this post on Animation.
I understand.. Some of you are student or willing to join Industry or say new to it.
The moment U decided that u will choose the filed on basis of market opening or 6 digit salary pack!! Believe me U all will fail in your life and never achieve the target or goal what U want to be.
To one of U – willing to do M.E in Animation field and just because some foolish or say stupid suggestions, afraid of doing it which is coming from your soul / heart.
Ok let me take this example.. Write now there is very big n easy option with 6 digit salary pack, opening for girls and boys who is ready to join the Nursing filed in Gulf and Australia as well.. So that mean R u want to join it or change your interest from Animation to Nursing just because of Market Opening !!!!!! Ask those guys who giving those terrible ideas.
This joining n earning issue is involved in all fields. guys… No matter U are Software Engineer or Animation Engineer or just B.Sc or BA graduate or from any background .. U all will succeed If n Only If [Iff]–U do your best with your all efforts and what U want to be.. This the key factor of all.
Initially there is a challenge for everyone in every field.
So what you want – do .. don’t think about market or say – don’t die before dying.
Even I’m not from Animation field but I’m interested on it .. n learned so many thing including MAC by self study just for interest purpose.
By educational background I’m Software Engineer but since I have interest in Networking field, I changed my field according to my wish n what I want to be.. Initially I got job with less salary with less satisfaction comparing to my classmate, but to day I’m in the position or say filed where I want to be “Core Network technical field with Latest generation Hard Core Technology Virtual Environment – “VMWare ESX””..
And believe me – no one from my classmate or friend reached this position where I’m now today with Very Good Salary package comparing to other Software Engineers.
So ball is now In Your court guys – let’s decide what U want n what U want to be.
Wish U all a very successful future – GOD bless All.]

TechTyson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TechTyson said...

I don't care,what people think abut animation previously.... but now "Animation is not a child thing anymore"..... u can only get suceeded when you are dedicated to it. Dedication,lot of practice,satisfaction,creativity,sharing & intrest......is very necessary in this field......& coming to india,,,,there are no. of animation instutions to teach u animation,,,,,,but most of them are not good,,,they don't teach the true animation thing.......,,,its ur thing to learn urself,discover new things,explore urself,put ur effort on it----then it be good,,,,,,,,orelse forget abut it.

Unknown said...

The animation industry of India has good potentials in terms of employment. A course in animation, preferably a diploma can help a student make a career out of it. Explore Here and know about Animation Institutes in India.

Unknown said...

Animation in Inda is one of the latest and most breakthrough technologies of the computer applications, it is not only useful in the technological world but animations have also slowly taken over the entertainment and the other daily aspects of life.

Unknown said...

Your website is very attractive, user-friendly and the best bet for reaching across to millions of users on the internet. Your post clearly explains on why the present era is a boon to freelancers looking to make money from the comfort of home. I have now kick-started a career offering my skill to many interested clients on the World Wide Web. As I have benefitted so can you. Check out some cool sites like sell logo design , unique business cards, www.zopcodes.com, and www.zopaudios.com. Begin earning!