Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Ice breaker

I was born in an Indian Family in West Bengal ... I got to see from very beginning how hard my mom and dad worked to provide the best to us in terms of education and livelihood. To my mom Education was of paramount importance in life. I was enrolled to the best school in the district. St Vincent's High & Tech school Asansol, A school so rich in heritage that taught me to be humble in life. It has left a deep sense of nostalgia. It was a Christian Brothers Missionary run institution .Even though I was from a different religion I saw in the Irish brothers as strong, disciplined, somewhat rigid, somewhat austere, yet virtuous and principled. I learn t to respect their sense of discipline in day to day activities , to be as constant as the northern star and contribute to the society with our intellect and hard work. After my tenth ,My father took retirement as the chief Scientist in his Laboratory and we moved to Kolkata I went to Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda centenary Collage , again run by the Missionaries, but this time Hindus , and again I saw the same pattern of discipline and self control, Its difficult to define the level of personality possessed by these monks, their eyes glitter with knowledge and the face lit up with confidence. their aim in life is to gather and impart knowledge selflessly. I majored in Physics and entered the world of uncertainty, it was only then I realized the value of orderliness against chaos. I was quite lost and used to crib about things I didn't understand. But there was something about the chaotic world which was interesting , it is the same difference between a manicured garden and a wild country side . The chaos itself has a tremendous creative force, the tendency's unlimited . I could see that if discipline was the sustainer, chaos was about creation and destruction. Chaos is every where. When we stare out at the universe we find supernova explosions , asteroids striking against asteroids, stars being formed and destroyed As if nothing is stable yet we know that within this chaos there exist solar system like ours where the planets circle around the sun in the most disciplined way for billions of years.Everything in the universe follows a set of rules yet the chaotic nature brings the beauties of this world into existence, Now coming back to our personal life we see that same chaos bringing with it immense uncertainty. To remain happy in life in this world of uncertainties on needs to keep expectations to the minimum and fullfill ones daily responsibilities with greatest care.

2 comments:

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

Excuse me for the inquisitiveness. Did the RamakrishnaVivekananda College prayers include any prayer to a Hindu God? I am asking this because Ramakrishna Mission claimed before the Supreme Court of India that Ramakrishna Religion was distinct from Hinduism.
vivekanandayb.blogspot.com

Satish Goda said...

Hello Anand.

It was nice listening to your toastmaster ice-breaker speech the other day. Its a good thing you blogged it fro others to read. Perhaps I should do the same.

Our thoughts put into words help us take a diversion from the chaotic life we are living in.

- Satish.